(403) 437-8070info@certifiedasbestos.com

5 Common Mistakes of DIY Mold Removal

12
Oct
5 Common Mistakes of DIY Mold Removal

When dealing with toxic mold, you’re inevitably putting your health at risk. Attempting a household mold removal on your own might help you save money, but it can be extremely dangerous. When released into the air by a cloth or scrub brush, mold spores can pose a serious risk to your health.

Here are a few common mistakes that might make you think twice about performing a DIY mold removal:

Out of Sight, Out of Mind

If you can’t see it, you don’t have mold, right? Wrong. Unfortunately, too many people are guilty of this common mistake. Just because the mold isn’t visible around your home, does not mean it isn’t there. The worst and most dangerous mold usually hides in places like attics, ceilings, under tiling or other types of flooring, and deep in your walls.

Using the Wrong Chemicals

If you’re attempting a DIY mold removal procedure, you likely don’t know which types of chemicals or cleaners to use. Many people use bleach to kill mold—another common mistake.  Although bleach can help dissolve mold from hard surfaces, it is ineffective on porous, textured surfaces.

Some chemicals, when used improperly, can be a health risk to you, your family, and your pets. If you’re not sure which chemicals to use, it’s best to speak to a professional.

Failure to Finish the Job

After vigorously scrubbing away at the mold along your windowsill, it may appear to be gone, but there is a high chance you missed a spot. In order to properly resolve a mold problem, all visible and invisible mold spores must be killed. Mold usually forms as a result of excessive moisture. If you do not remove or fix this moisture problem, the mold will inevitably return.

Accidentally Spreading Spores

Professionals know how to remove mold without spreading it to other parts of your home. If you’re attempting this on your own, there’s a high chance the mold spores will become airborne. Without the proper containment equipment and negative airflow setup, you risk infecting other parts of your home with mold.

Covering it With Paint

After cleaning household mold, many people think painting over it with mold-resistant paint will forever stop the problem. Despite the paint, there is still a chance the mold will grow, spreading like wildfire until you discover it.

If you discover mold in your home, you must deal with it properly. Toxic mold is a serious health risk to you, your family, and your pets. In these situations, it’s always best to consult with a professional. The professionals at Certified Asbestos Removal can help.

For more information about our services and to have your property inspected for mold, contact us today at Certified Asbestos Removal.

Contact us for fast and efficient asbestos and mold testing and removal service

Get in touch with us and send some basic info for a quick quote.

Get a free quote

quote

Thank you! Your message has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.